Thursday, October 18, 2007

Kenji Miyazawa's grave -.- Hanamaki, Iwate.

What do the Gauche the Cellist anime by Isao Takahata of Ghibli fame and the Night on the Galactic Railroad anime have in common? Why, both are based on short stories by Kenji Miyazawa (1896-1933),  the most famous son of the town of Hanamaki in the Iwate province in Japan who have erected a nice museum in his honour.

My parents-in-law live in Hanamaki and I have visited the museum, of course, which I would recommend to anybody visiting the north of Japan, especially since it seems to be the only place left where you can watch the The Restaurant of Many Orders anime. :-) However, recently I discovered that the haka (grave)  of Kenji Miyazawa is only a stone throw away from my parents-in-law's house.

Camera: Pentax *ist DS, lens: 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC MACRO