Sunday, September 23, 2007

Takayama -.- overrated?

I have to confess, I have never really been impressed with Takayama. The old town is often listed in tourist guides as "Best in Japan" and I think it has had the potential to have been just that, but to me it is ruined by all the omiyage and other touristy shops into which almost all of the old houses in the old town have been turned. I like the shanty houses on the river in Takayama better than the old town.  :-)

 
But Takayama is perfectly located for trips to the Hida Folk Village, Kamikōchi, Gujō-Hachiman and Shiragawago and that makes it an important transport hub to me.

Rarely listed under the attractions of Takayama, but certainly worth a visit is the Takayama Honcho Museum where works of Yamashita Kiyoshi are exhibited. I really liked those pictures.

Takayama is of course very popular with non-Japanese visitors, and I'm very interested reading your take on Takayama. If you agree or disagree with my view of Takayama, please leave a comment. No flames.

Camera: Pentax *ist DS, lens: 18-50mm F2.8 EX DC MACRO