Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Jack Vance -.- Unspiek, Baron Bodissey

For more than 30 years, my favourite author has been Jack Vance. Science fiction, fantasy and mystery novels have been the subjects of his books but even his science fiction and fantasy are difficult to pigeonhole and this may account for the problems publishers had to appreciate Vance. But this became nuncupatory as Vance has always been highly regarded by critics and colleagues, and a vast base of loyal fans soon emerged. Between 1999 and 2006 an Internet initiative has published all Jack Vance's work, edited the way he preferred it, as The Vance Integral Edition of which I bought the 2nd printing: 45 delicious leather bound volumes full with the incomparable prose of the Master.

My favourite character appears scattered throughout his oeuvre: Unspiek, Baron Bodissey in which we maybe recognize the voice of Vance himself. Here are a few quotes of the Baron's wisdom:

  • [On religious wars] of all wars, these are the most detestable, since they are waged for no tangible gain, but only to impose a set of arbitrary credos on another. (From Life, Volume I; The Face, Chapter 3)
  • "Morality", the most troublesome and confusing word of all. There is no single or supreme morality; there are many, each defining the mode by which a system of entities optimally interacts. (From Life, Volume I; The Book of Dreams, Chapter 3)
  • We must not confuse statistical probability with some transcendental and utterly compelling force. (From Life, Volume II; The Star King, Chapter 2)
  • Only losers cry out for fair play. (Night Lamp, Chapter 2)

* * *

But let me finish with my favourite poem by Navarth, 'the mad poet', another one of Vance's fabulous persona:

Tim R. Mortiss

Drinking whisky by the peg,
Singing songs of drunken glee.
I thought to swallow half a keg
But Tim R. Mortiss degurgled me.

Not precisely comme il faut,
To practice frank polygamy;
I might have practiced, even so.
But Tim R. Mortiss disturgled me.

Chorus:
Tim R. Mortiss, Tim R. Mortiss,
He's a loving friend.
He holds my hand while I'm asleep,
He guides me on my four-day creep,
He's with me to the end.

To woo a dainty Eskimo
I vowed to swim the Bering Sea.
No sooner had I wet a toe:
When Tim R. Mortiss occurgled me.

A threat arcane, a fearful bane
Within an old phylactery.
I turned the rubbish down a dram,
Now Tim R. Mortiss perturgles me.

Chorus (with a snapping of fingers and clicking of heels in mid-air):
Tim R. Morriss, Tim R. Mortiss,
He's a loving friend.
He holds my hand while I'm asleep,
He guides me on my four-day creep,
He's with me to the end.