Friday, June 29, 2007

Gare du Nord -.- Paris part 1

After having passed so many times through Gare du Nord train station, finally one time I thought of bringing my camera along. I took the pictures from the Eurostar departure lounge on the 2nd floor of the station.

Ever since first viewing the series of impressionist paintings of Gare Saint-Lazare by Monet, I had noticed the beauty in the cast iron roofs of the Paris stations, a roof made of the Meccano I used to play with.

Instead of steam trains, nowadays a TGV, Thalys or Eurostar would glide into the station, but really little had changed since 1877 when Claude Monet painted his series of 11 paintings of the other station. The contrast of the perpetual twilight under the roof with the blinding sunlight on the outside.

 

Camera: Pentax MZ-3, lens: Sigma 18-50mm